Settle by the open fire or enjoy lunch on a sunny terrace, you will always be greeted with a warm welcome. Twin Farms offers customers a relaxed venue for eating well cooked dishes accompanied by an excellent choice of beer and wine. Twin Farms are quick to respond to changes in seasonal produce and enjoy a reputation for proudly-British modern food, not only the best of British but better still regional.
Living North's Mens Editor, Matthew Ketchell, donned his whites to join our team of chefs at January's chef school. The theme of the day was healthy eating and gluten-free dishes and head chefs from all Sir John Fitzgerald establishments came along to perfect their skills and experiment with new menu ideas.
Read all about his experiece on the Living North website.
A full story and pictures from the day can also be read in this month's issue of Living North, out now!
1. Use low gluten flour. We like to use unbleached pastry flour in our recipes—that’s what our mixes are made with—but all-purpose flour will do. Bread flour can make a pancake tough and chewy.
2. Don’t over mix. Mixing develops the gluten in the batter. Mix the dry ingredients together to dispense the leavening throughout the flour. Mix the recipe’s wet ingredients together in another bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. There will still be lumps but that’s okay—they will smooth out when cooked.
3. Get the batter the right consistency. The batter should be runny enough that it will spread on the griddle. If it is too runny, the pancakes will be crepe-like. As you progress through the batch, the batter will tend to become thicker as the leavenings work. Add a little more water or milk as needed but remember to stir minimally.
4. Prepare the griddle. Very lightly grease the griddle with a little shortening or with an aerosol can of vegetable oil.
5. Get the griddle hot enough. Set the griddle on high or medium-high heat. When the griddle is hot enough, water droplets will dance on the surface. After putting batter on the griddle, turn the heat to medium.
6. Cook uniform-sized pancakes. Use a 1/3-cup measure for medium-sized pancakes and a 1/2-cup measure for larger pancakes.
7. Cook it right. You can tell when it’s time to turn the pancake by watching the bubbles form and watching the edges of the pancakes. The bubbles tend to cook into little craters and the edges will be dry-looking when the pancake is ready to turn. A little practice makes perfect.
8. Use half Buttermilk to half milk to add further flavour.
9. I always insist the family eat a savoury pancake before devouring the mountain of sweet pancakes!
Sir John Fitzgerald's Adrian Watson and Gavin Groombridge will be cooking up a storm this month at Living North LIVE!
The two top chefs will be demonstrating live at the event showing visitors how to perfect their cuisine skills to create the perfect dishes.
Adrian and Gavin's live demonstration will be at 2pm on Friday 21st March at Newcastle Racecourse.
Book your tickets now.
Pair any main course from our Classics Menu with a pint, glass of wine or soft drink, and we will give it to you for £10 - just because its Tuesday!
What a catch! Our chefs select the best fish each Friday. Available at The Ridley Arms, The Pavilion, Twin Farms, The Manor House & The Green
Enter our challenge this month for the chance to win a family lunch at The Pavilion.
Come and enjoy Traditional Roast with us! Every Sunday from 12 noon
Sunday Roasts are available at various SJF pubs. Click here to find out all times and locations.
Quiz night every Monday at 8.30pm at Twin Farms.
SJF host regular quiz nights. Click here to find out all times and locations.
22 Main Road
Kenton Bank Foot
Newcastle upon Tyne
T: 0191 286 1263
|Mon||11:30am - 11:00pm|
|Tues||11:30am - 11:00pm|
|Wed||11:30am - 11:00pm|
|Thurs||11:30am - 11:00pm|
|Fri||11:30am - 11:00pm|
|Sat||11:30am - 11:00pm|
|Sun||11:30pm - 10:30pm|
|Mon||12:00pm - 9:30pm|
|Tues||12:00pm - 9:30pm|
|Wed||12:00pm - 9:30pm|
|Thurs||12:00pm - 6.00pm|
|Fri||12:00pm - 9:30pm|
|Sat||12:00pm - 9:30pm|
|Sun||12.00pm - 9:00pm|